Monday, March 12, 2012

What Will You Do with Your "Broken Pieces"?

Wow...it has been quite a while since I last wrote.  I didn't mean to stop...but life sort of got in the way, imagine that!  I spent last week in Maine for a very relaxing visit with my family as we celebrated my mother's cancer free report.  For that I am praising God!

Last evening my husband and I were honored to share our testimonies with the women and men of a great church in Columbus, Georgia.  In my testimony I share about allowing God to take the "broken pieces" of our life and put them back together to create something beautiful.  My broken pieces came after the death of my first husband Rob, and the three miscarriages that Randy and I have suffered.  Our family was able to spend the evening with some really great friends there in Columbus, and we enjoyed an incredible time of fellowship.  Lots of laughter!

This morning after two wonderful cups of coffee with my friend Julia I was sitting in her living room waiting while she got ready to head out for breakfast.  From my vantage point in the living room I could look right into her dining room, when all of a sudden there was a loud crash and I watched as all of this crystal came falling off the shelves of her hutch.  It was eerie to say the least.  No one was in the living room and I couldn't imagine how this had happened.  My first thought was, there must have been an earthquake?  But I hadn't felt any tremors.  The next thought was well, I have to admit it did look a little like something out of a "Poltergeist" movie, but I knew that it couldn't be that either. 

My friend came flying around the corner and looked at the mess lying there on the floor.  I only had to take one look at her face to realize that those had been special pieces to her.  Her son and my husband began to pick up the shattered glass while she told me with tears in her eyes that they had been her mother's glasses.  All I could do was hug her, there didn't seem to be anything else to say.  The boys were taking the larger pieces of glass and putting them on her dining room table she was clearly not sure what to do with those pieces and then I remembered a scene from this phenomenal movie.

The movie is "Joshua" and there is a scene where a glass angel gets broken and it's really special to this lady.  She yells at Joshua, who is type of Jesus in the movie, and tells him that her life is like that broken glass, shattered and no one can fix it.  After Joshua leaves town he has a beautiful glass heart delivered to her, and the person who gives it to her says, "Imagine something this beautiful coming from all that broken glass!"   It's like a light comes on in her, because she realizes that what was being said is this, "You can trust God with your broken pieces, He can and will make something beautiful from them!"

I encouraged my friend NOT to throw away all those pieces, but instead to find someone who can make something beautiful out of that shattered glass. It may sound like a strange idea, but honestly I've seen too many beautiful things made out of the "messy" things in our lives!  I've watched God restore the broken pieces of my life and countless others, and make them shine for Him.  Somewhere there in Columbus, Georgia I believe there is an artist, who can take those shattered pieces and make a beautiful piece of art full of old and new memories! 

You see not only do I have a story of "broken pieces", but my friend does too!  She is one of my heroes!  She is a cancer survivor!  As a matter of fact, I think it's very fitting that those goblets were pink...you see Julia is a PINK WARRIOR!  One of several friends of mine who have fought breast cancer and won! 

Yes, I can"t wait to see what someone makes of those broken pieces.  It may have been a hard thing to watch as those precious goblets came crashing down, but isn't that like our lives?  The difficulties we face are hard for the moment, BUT WITH GOD, even those difficulties can be made a work of art!  Let Him take the "broken pieces" of your life and make something beautiful out of it today.  Don't keep worrying, stressing or crying out over your situation, instead CAST YOUR CARES on Him, because HE CARES FOR YOU!  Then walk away and say, "It's in your hands now Father!"  Trust Him to take it, and make it shine!  After all....He is a Master Artist who delights in taking a piece of ordinary clay and making a beautiful piece of pottery!

And for my other PINK WARRIOR'S...who are still fighting, know I pray and believe every day that you too will soon hear those words...CANCER FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment