Friday, April 5, 2013

Little Things

I remember a song that a wonderful woman of God used to sing at our church while I was growing up, "Consider the Lilies".  (If you get a chance go onto YouTube and find the following link!  Sit back and enjoy!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIx_0nTkmcE )  My favorite line in the whole song, and it isn't a very long song is this, "But He's not to busy to care about you!"  What an amazing thought...the God of the universe isn't too busy for me.  Kind of encouraging to think about isn't it?  He cares about the big things in our lives...and more importantly He cares about the small things too.  How do I know?  I just do.

This past week was my birthday.  It ended up being a celebration that lasted more than just the 26th of March, and oddly enough I was okay with that.  A dear lady from our church called me just before I left work the day before my birthday.  She asked for just a few minutes before I left.  I had no clue what she wanted but I met her at the door to the church.  In her hands were the most beautiful coral roses, a birthday card and a gift bag.  Her words were, "I just want to celebrate you this day before  your birthday!"  I was touched, and tears came to my eyes as I remembered a day oh so many years ago that often I forget, but a day that helped me realize that God cares about even the little things that matter to me.

You see after my first husband died I had to get on with my life.  I moved back to Florida, and lived in an apartment for a while until God through the help of my best friend's mother, brought me a wonderful home that had been taken back by the bank.  It needed a little cosmetic work, and the siding of the house was damaged, and the garden was kind of bad, but it was my first home and I loved it!  (Still do...I miss that house on Blue Whale Way!)  I had been in the house for a few weeks when outside of my bedroom window in what little garden there was, I saw a small rose bush that had just started to bloom.  In that quiet moment I prayed a simple prayer, "God, you know I love roses, and well I really wish that this rose bush would be those coral colored roses that I love so much!"  I forgot that prayer for a few days...but God didn't.  You see I woke up one morning, looked out my window and there it was...the first bloom of that wonderful little rose bush, and yes, it was coral! 

Oh some of you reading this may say, it was just a coincedence, but I don't think it was. Why?  Because there have too many instances in my life where "small things" have happened to encourage me, to bring a smile to my face, and I choose to believe that these things come from God!  He cares about you because you are His child, and what matters to you matters to Him, no matter how small.  I challenge you after you've read this to go to Bible Gateway or pull The Message Bible off of your shelf and look up Matthew 6:19-34.  But until you get that minute...here's what I really want you to hear, "If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers-most of which are never even seen-don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?" (Verse 30)     

God cares about the little things in your life!  He really does!  He will do His best for you, and yes, that includes coral roses!

No comments:

Post a Comment